Long Beach Island (colloquially known as LBI or simply The Island) is a barrier island and summer colony along the Atlantic Ocean coast of Ocean County, New Jersey in the United States.LBI is approximately 18 miles (29 km) in length, which includes three miles (5 km) of nature reserve located on the southern tip.
The island has been continuously settled since 1690, initially being a destination for hunters. Due to the inlet’s importance and its turbulent waters, a lighthouse tower was constructed in 1835 to guide shippers through the area. Erosion problems destroyed the tower in 1857, two years before the current Barnegat Lighthouse was completed in 1859.
- The Jersey Shore shark attacks of 1916 included a fatal attack in Beach Haven, killing University of Pennsylvania student Charles Vansant in July 1916, which partly inspired the book Jaws.
- You can understand which houses are new and which are old because new houses have nothing on the bottom except garage or basement, so in case of hurricane they won’t be flooded.
What To Do:
- The Beach: the beach is really worth it. During you stay at the beach a lifeguard is going to stop by. You have to purchase a badge to regulate your presence on the beach
- Thundering Surf Water Park – 300 Taylor Ave, Beach Haven, NJ 08008
- Settler’s Mill Adventure Golf (minigolf) – 806 N Bay Ave, Beach Haven, NJ 08008
If there are days off or the weather is not perfect for the beach, i recommend you to visit the water park or the minigolf. In both places I had lots of fun and they will keep you busy for many hours.
- Bike ride: LBI is completely flat, so on one of my afternoon I rented a bike and toured the island
- Barnegat Lighthouse: Unfortunately I didn’t have time to visit the lighthouse, but I wish I had
Where to eat:
Skipper Dipper – 9305 Long Beach Blvd Beach Haven, NJ 08008
It is the best ice cream place on the island.
Buckalew’s Restaurant – 101 N Bay Ave, Beach Haven, Long Beach Island, NJ 08008-1812
We were there to eat seafood. The restaurant is well kept and the food is great
Pinky Shrimp’s Seafood Company – 8211 Long Beach Blvd, Beach Haven, NJ 08008
We ordered takeaway. Io had muscles in two versions: with just butter and with parsley and lemon juice. Very tasty